Cowgar Family Adventures

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Pretty Rocks

My Christmas present was a 65 pound bucket of mining rough from the gemstone mines of Gem Mountain, in North Carolina. In another life, I would have been a geologist/archaeologist, so I am quite the rock hound. The girls and I had a great time sifting through the dirt on the dining room floor, picking out all of the “pretty rocks”. I sent my finds back to them to be identified, and I had a free facet ticket to use as well. I’ve received my identified stones back, and I hope to find a lapidary service that will cut some of them for me. I’d love to get them faceted, but will consider other cuts as well, just as long as I can find someone in the Northeast Ohio area that will do it…inexpensively! Gem Mountain kept a Tourmaline for my free facet, and I can’t wait to see it, so I’m anxiously waiting by the mail everyday. I also have emeralds, aquamarines, amethysts, quartz, and lots of others. Here is a group picture of the finds! I want to get pictures of the groups that were identified, but that will come later.


No comments:

Post a Comment